Saturday, September 20, 2008

Talk about a lifestyle change...

So - the catch phrase this past decade has been to move away from saying "diet" to "lifestyle change". The new terminology has done wonders for my waistline...yeah, not so much...but that's not really the point of my blog. As with MOST of the blogs these past 12+ months - it has more to do with our son.
:) Who can blame me? :)


A couple weeks ago - we learned (or I should say received confirmation & clarification) that he has quite a few allergies. His most severe being peanuts - which I actually learned the hard way after he took a bite of my pb&j sandwich and immediately broke into hives & had some swelling on his face. I didn't know enough at that point to know I should take him to the ER - I just gave him Benadryl for children. He threw up soon after - though - he seemed quite fine, the hives started to disappear & the swelling had gone down...so I thought he was doing better...again - ignorance on my part...looking back...knowing now what i didn't know then...scary stuff...i still should have taken him in!! I gave him a bottle when I laid him down for a nap a while later - but within minutes, he threw that up too! ((You'd think I'd figure out that I should have taken him in...but I had no idea that vomiting is another food allergy reaction...i only knew about the hives and swelling!!)) Well - thank GOD He protected my little guy when I was too stupid to do the right thing)) But even THIS wasn't the point of my blog ((unless of course, it helps someone else to know that once there is swelling or vomiting, take your child to the ER...actually - if you're ever unsure - just TAKE him!!!! Better to look a bit psycho-protective-mommy at the ER than to put your child in THAT kind of danger!!! UGH dumb dumb dumb!!!))


OK - moving on...


Our family doctor sent us to an allergist after she did the first panel & he came back allergic to peanuts, eggs, soy, pineapple, milk and dog/cat ((which actually - dog was ALMOST as severe as peanut...which surprised me)) Anywho - we saw the allergist on Tuesday of this week - and he prescribed the Epi-pen - which I assumed he would (I had one years ago & actually still should) along with a few other things to be taken daily...poor little guy...though he's adjusting to it all well. He especially likes the grape-flavored zyrtec. :) ;)


Anywho - we went to see the nutritionist on Thursday - which, to be honest, wasn't as helpful as I had hoped. ((nothing against her personally - it's just all the stuff i've read on the web for the most part))


Soooo - guess I'm just stream-thought-writing at the moment...while listening to ANOTHER cricket - this time, brave enough to come into the living room while I'm here.


As I'm able - i'll be adding allergy-related links to the blog here...in some part for my ease of reference - but also to help anyone else out there who is undergoing this lifestyle change. :) Ahhhh - and there I brought us full circle...this is what happens when I'm up late waiting for laundry to finish so I can go to bed!!! Rambling on & on with no real point at all. :) :)

3 Comments:

At Monday, September 22, 2008 5:39:00 PM, Blogger Renata said...

I hope he grows out of them. Pineapple? What a shame :-(

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear the nutritionist visit wasn't much help. Will you be seeing her again? More useful help will come later when you are trying to work out some alternatives as well as checking to see if his diet (um I mean lifestyle *grin*) is adequate in nutrients.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:04:00 PM, Blogger Renata said...

Hi there! We haven't heard from you in a while. How's the lifestyle change coming along? What about everything else?

 
At Monday, February 23, 2009 12:10:00 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Hi Renata!!
I'm so sorry I haven't responded to these (and took forever to actually PUBLISH them!!!) Obviously - I haven't been on blogger much since our lifestyle change. LOL

It was nothing against the nutritionist personally - I was just hoping for some help in FINDING foods he CAN eat - not getting a printed list of foods he can't - I already HAD that info from the internet...it was just disappointing. And no - they only set us up with one visit. ?

He is 18 months (today) - and the allergist wants to do the full blown testing on him now. :( I had it done a few years ago myself and am NOT looking forward to him going through it...poor little guy. Unfortunately - it's been a challenging 6 months...and, while we remain hopeful that he will outgrow some of these allergies, the reality seems that he is developing MORE!! :( It just breaks my heart. :(
Thanks for checking on us though - please tell Stan I said hello & give the little ones hugs from our family to yours!!!
Blessings in Jesus!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home